BRITISH LOCAL HISTORY
A HISTORY OF LINSLADE IN THE COUNTY OF BEDFORD
MARK DAVID HURN B.A.
Linslade is located in South Bedfordshire, on the border with Buckinghamshire. It is divided from Leighton Buzzard by the River Ouzel. It is about 48 miles to the north-west of London. Approximately twelve miles south of the City of Milton Keynes. The National Grid Reference is SP 914251.
A visitor to Linslade confronts several radically different landscapes. There is the lonely church of St. Mary’s set in rural isolation. There are the dusty Victorian terraces, interspersed by expensive villas. Also, there are the typical housing developments of the twentieth century. Elements typical of many towns and villages forming a unique montage within one parish boundary.
Linslade today is a part of the town of Leighton—Linslade in Bedfordshire. However, we shall see that Linslade is far from being merely a suburb of Leighton Buzzard. It has its own separate identity and history which to some extent still continues in opposition to administrative fiat. People are happy and proud to say they live in this little town.
The history of Linslade is geographically footloose, at different periods, different places in the parish have become important (even of national importance) only to become totally unimportant at a later stage. For example, no one crosses the River Ouzel by Tiddingford today. Housing estates built in the last ten years, are now of terrific economic importance as Linslade increasingly becomes a ‘dormitory town’ for commuters. This footloose character should not prevent an overall picture of Linslade history from being formed.
This history is not alone, over recent years a number of Linslade histories have been written, and these have provided me with much assistance. Often however, they have concentrated on Leighton Buzzard with only occasional references to Linslade itself. Linslade can provide particular topics of local history, a study of the Morgan works or of the Grand Junction Canal, could profitably be made. However, my interest has been to understand the whole history. This is a challenging and problematic task, which needs in particular more archaeological work to be done. I have used mostly written sources, both primary and secondary. I have also ‘walked the job’ quite literally in searches for barrows, boundaries, fords and holy wells. I owe a lot to others, in particular F.G. Gurney, who provides invaluable help for the early history of Linslade.
Linslade has a story to tell, which can re-pay our patience in listening.
The area around St. Mary’s church is now called Old Linslade. This today consists of simply the church, Manor Farm and a very small number of modern houses. It is located at the very north of the parish, at a bend in the River Ouzel. This is a picturesque spot, to the south is Milebush Hill and Linslade Wood, to the North and East is the wooded Greensand Ridge of Heath and Reach and Leighton Buzzard. The Grand Junction Canal and the London Midland Railway both follow the course of the Ouzel through Old Linslade.
There is very little evidence of early man in Linslade. Barrows are said to have marked points on the parish boundary (1), but these appear to have been ploughed away since. Little evidence of Roman occupation has been uncovered, however Roman Pottery was discovered at Tiddingford Hill by F.G. Gurney (2).
The name Linslade has evolved from Anglo-Saxon times. It first appears as ‘Hlincgelad’ in the Charter of 966. Linchlade was used up to the nineteenth century (3). The development of the name has been recorded by the English Place-Name Society (4). They trace its origin from ‘linch’ meaning a steep bank, and ‘gelad’ referring to a footpath along the Ouzel. Other placenames in the parish are explained, for example Southcott (a small hamlet in the south of the parish) simply means ‘south cottages’.
The earliest mention of any place in the parish is for Tiddingford. The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle (5) states;
906. In this year died Alfred, who was reeve at Bath and in the same year peace was ratified at Tiddingford, as king Edward ordained, both with the host from East Anglia and with the Northumbrians.
Gurney (6) explains how this was peace between Edward ‘the Elder’ and the Danish King Guthrum-Eohricsson after the collapse of Danish supported revolt in favour of the aetheling AEthelwald. Tiddingford or ‘Yttingaford’ of the 966 Charter was a ford of the River Ouzel at the south of the parish. The ford was part of an ancient trade route which left the Icknield way north of Luton to head westwards towards the village of Wing which is west of Linslade. This route has many names which include ‘Thiodweg’, ‘Ede Way’, and ‘the Old Salt Way’ (7).
The Charter of 966 which I have mentioned above is reproduced by Gurney (8). It is the grant of Linslade to Queen AElfgifu by King Edgar. Linslade is described as being ten hides in size. A description of the boundary of Linslade is added to the charter. This includes a mention of Tiddingford and ‘Tumbalds Tree’. The exact location of Tiddingford cannot be found, however it must have been along the stretch of river below Tiddingford Hill. Looking for the likely locations to the ford, the route of Thiodweg, as well as the river bottom itself could help location. As for Tumbalds Tree only the roughest of locations is possible (i.e. somewhere between the River and Wing).
The story of Tiddingford is an example of how once important places become almost lost and insignificant. The long forgotten disputes that were settled there are far from us today, but perhaps we should be glad that the history of Linslade can begin at a place of peacemaking.
The Norman conquest brought changes to Linslade. It also gives us the first real survey of the parish, for Linslade is mentioned in the Doomsday Book (9). From this we learn a great deal about Linslade in 1086. We are told that before 1066 it was held by ‘Alwin, Queen Edith’s man’. It then belonged to Hugh of Beauchamp. who held 43 manors mostly in Bedfordshire (10). Linslade is in the Cottesloe Hundred of Buckinghamshire. Linslade is described as 15 hides. This is5 more than in the 966 Charter, perhaps the agriculturally useful area had been increased in the intervening years. A hide is 120 acres (11), this gives a figure of 1800 acres at Doomsday, which compares favorably with a later figure of 1693 acres (12). The Doomsday survey gives a population of 22 villagers, 6 smallholders and 5 slaves. A reminder that in Stenton’s words ‘The institution of slavery was part of the earliest English law’ (13). The manor is also recorded as having a mill. The Beauchamp family held the manor until the reign of Edward I (1272-1307) (l4).
We can be thankful to the Beachamp’s for they had built St. Mary’s church. The earliest parts of the church (the Nave and Chancel) were built in the early 12th Century (15). The tower with its narrow spiral staircase was constructed in the mid 15th Century. The west wall of the chancel has an unusual feature, a stone cut seat for the Lord of the Manor. The church bells, which have been removed, date from the 18th Century they are described by Cocks (16). There are two brasses, one a Latin inscription of the 15th Century and a family group without inscription from the early 16th Century. The Font is circa 1210, an attractive circular bowl with animal and foliage carvings around the top. St. Mary’s is one of the few buildings in Linslade to provide a sense of continuity through the ages. It was restored in 1876 and 1897, and more recently in the 1980’s by ‘Barneys Army’, a group of local unemployed (17).
The Manor house is sited very close to St. Mary’s. This has probably been the site of the Manor since Anglo-Saxon times. Pevsner (18) describes it as 18th Century. Whereas Lipscomb (19) describes an inscription of 1666 over a doorway. The Manor which is now called ‘Manor Farm’ has obviously been changed and adapted by necessity and building fashion over the years. The Manor now presents a ‘Georgian’ appearance, but remains a working farm.
To continue our history of Linslade we must consider elements of Roman Catholicism, Pilgrimage and Miracles. Also we must consider these ideological causes of historical development. The 13th Century was a period of great expansion and controversy in Linslade. This centered around the Holy Well, located in a field near the church its waters were said to have healing powers, it became a centre for pilgrimages. It also led to a growth in the village. For in 1251 Henry III granted William de Beauchamp a charter for a weekly market and an annual fair for eight days on the eve-day of the Virgin Mary (20). During this time Linslade prospered, but it was not to last. In 1299 the Bishop of Lincoln, Oliver Sutton issued a mandate which effectively killed off the pilgrimages and the town. This mandate is printed in Gunton’s ‘History of Peterborough’ (21). The mandate did not approve of the claims to miracles, pilgrims were warned off under penalty of excommunication. Also the Vicar of Linslade was accused of ‘being more eager for riches than the salvation of souls’. The Vicar was put before an ecclesiastical court, the result is not known, but he remained as Vicar until 1319. How large Linslade became as a result of the pilgrimages and how much it suffered by their termination is unknown. I can only suggest that archaeological examination of the site may reveal the answer.
From 1299 to the beginning of the nineteenth Century Linslade slips into obscurity. Records exist for its Lords of the Manor, they are given in detail in the Victoria County History (22). The Beauchamps left no heirs and the Manor went to Roger de Mowbray, to the Lucy family until 1461. Then the Manor was held by the Corbet family until 1688. Southcott has been occasionally mentioned as a separate Manor, has descended with Linslade. The decline of Linslade had reached the point where in 1376, no buildings at all were found on the Manor (23). In 1480-1525 there was no Vicar of Linslade (24.). The only way to visualize what had happened is to accept that Linslade as a village had ceased to exist, what remained was a church, a Manor and a few farms. This condition lasted for about five hundred years.
We can catch a glimpse of life during this period from the Parish Register which exists from 1690 onwards. We find very few entries each year, almost always less than ten entries per year, for some years (1697,1734,1739,1740) only one entry is made. Also marriages recorded show people living in other villages, a marriage between two people both from Linslade was extremely rare. All this indicates a very small population. Yet at the same time the names ring bells, the Gurney family is often mentioned, as well as the Parrot family. These local families still thrive. The Parish Register is written in Latin until 1718 (25).
Here we shall leave Old Linslade in rural obscurity. Noting that forces were developing in other parts of the country that would radically change the history of Linslade.
OLD LINSLADE REFERENCESBack
1 The Publications of the Bedfordshire Historical Records Society, Volume V. Part 2. Aspley Guise, 1920. Page 178, ‘The Grant of Hlincgelad’, F.G. Gurney.
2 ‘Survey of Bedfordshire — The Roman Period’, Angela Simco, Bedfordshire County Council, 1984. Page 106.
3‘Magna Britannia’, D. Lysons and S. Lysons, Volume I. London. 1806. Page 341.
4 ‘The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire’, A. Mawer and F.M. Stenton, English Place-Name Society, Cambridge, 1925. Pages 79-81.
5 ‘The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle’, Translated by G.N. Garmonsway, London, 1953. Page 94.
6 Gurney as 1 (above). Page 163.
7 op.cit. page 170.
8 op.cit. page 171.
9 ‘Doomsday Book, text and translation by John Morris: 13 Buckinghamshire’, Phillimore. Chichester, 1978.
10 ‘The Beauchamps, Barons of Bedford’, C.G. Chambers and G.H. Fowler, Publications of the Bedfordshire Historical Records Society, Volume I, Aspley Guise, MCMXII.
11 As 9 (above).
12 ‘The Victoria History of the Counties of England’, editor William Page, ‘A History of Buckinghamshire’ Volume III, London, 1969. Page 387.
13 ‘Anglo-Saxon England’, F.M. Stenton, Oxford. 1943. Page 314.
14 ‘St. Mary’s Old Linslade’, John Vickers, 1986. Page 4.
15 op.cit. page 10.
16 ‘The Church Bells of Buckinghamshire’, A.H. Cocks, London, 1897. Pages 455-6.
17 As 14 (above). Page 15.
18 ‘The Buildings of England: Buckinghamshire’, N. Pevsner, London, 1960.
19 ‘The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham’, George Lipscomb, London, 1847. Page 405.
20 As 14 (above). Page 2.
21 The Mandate is printed in Reference 14 (above), however no source is quoted. The ‘History of Buckinghamshire’, Lyson, quotes the Mandate as being printed in Gunton’s History of Peterborough’, Page 341. I have been unable to see this work.
22 As 12 (above).
23 op.cit. Page 389.
24 As 14 (above). Page 5.
25 The Parish Register for Linslade is held at the Buckingham County Record Office, Aylesbury.
Communication links are a connection with the wider world. The Old SaltWay crossed the Ouzel at Tiddingford, but this never led to any development of Linslade. The name Linslade may refer to a path along the Ouzel, this may have been significant in the early settlement. The Ouzel is not navigable at any point near Linslade. However, from 1800 onwards Linslade was to become linked to the great cities of London and Birmingham by major communication links.
The 1801 Census (1), shows 203 people in Linslade. Each census in the 19th Century shows a larger population for Linslade. By 1901 the population had reached 2157. This growth can only be explained by the passage through the parish of a canal and a railway.
The canal in question was the Grand Junction Canal. This was authorized by parliament in 1793 and completed in full by 1805 (2). The canal had reached Linslade by the 28th of May 1800. Linslade occupied a strategic position 47 miles from Brentford in London and 47 miles from Braunston in Birmingham. Early cargoes included hay to London, whilst corn, timber, iron and coal was unloaded (3). Linslade became a scene of activity, handling the trade for Leighton Buzzard and surrounding villages. The canal passed from north to south through the parish in parallel with the river (4). Several wharfs were created to handle the traffic, these were located at the point nearest to Leighton Buzzard (5). The sand pits of Leighton Buzzard exported sand to all parts of the country via the canal at Linslade. Sand was loaded on to the barges at Sandhole Bridge in Old Linslade. This practice continued up to the 1920’s, Mr William Gibbins remembers as a boy taking silver sand from Old Linslade to Birmingham by barge (6). The canal brought employment and people to Linslade, Linslade Lock employed a toll clerk and lock keeper(7). Also the census of 1861 (8), shows many local people employed on the wharfs at Linslade, as well as the boats and crews which happened to be there that day. The Canal is better known today as the Grand Union Canal, as it was renamed in 1929 (9).
The canal declined in prosperity after 1850, mainly from competition with the railways, this was a general trend in England during this period (10). An interesting point is made by George Lipscomb (11), that the site of the miraculous St. Mary’s Well was included in the canal, and that its Holy Water is diluted throughout the length of the canal! The Holy Water could not prevent the new rival for the canal in Linslade. This was the railway.
The railway had a far more significant effect on the development of Linslade than the canal. In other parts of England whole new towns were created by the railways, for example Crewe or Swindon (12). Linslade experienced a similar growth, if not on such a large scale. M. Reed writes ‘Linslade also developed remarkably in the nineteenth century as a direct result of the coming of the railway.’(13).
The railway that brought such a growth in the size of Linslade was the London Midland Railway, which like the canal went from London to Birmingham. The railway was constructed by the engineer Robert Stephenson, and completed in 1838 (14). The railway was opposed by landowners in Leighton Buzzard who had a financial interest in the canal. Their opposition led to the course of the railway passing through Linslade instead of Leighton Buzzard (15). As a result Leighton Buzzard station was built in Linslade. One problem encountered was the tunnel through Jackdaw Hill in Linslade, now called Tunnel Hill (16). This tunnel was cut through the tough Ironstone of the hill and is said to have cost several lives as well as bankrupting companies engaged to build it (17). This railway was extremely successful, and is today carrying increasing numbers of passengers. The track was electrified in 1966 (18).
A branch line was opened in May 1848, this left the mainline at Linslade to head east to Dunstable (19). Interestingly this ran parallel to the course of the Old Salt Way. The branch line train was known as the ‘Dunstable Dasher’. This passenger service was closed in 1962 and the track has now been removed (20).
The Census (21) of 1831, shows a population of 407, the next Census after the arrival of the railway, gives a population of 883, in 1841. This shows that the population had more than doubled. Richards (22) writes of Leighton Buzzard in 1851, ‘...most of the growth having taken place in Linslade parish near the station’. An examination of the Census of 1861 (23) gives a good view of the new population of Linslade, which by then had reached 1,511. Popular occupations include, railway police, guards, engine drivers, stokers, and railway labourers. Other occupations included some women lacemakers (a local cottage industry (24)), canal workers, servants, and strawplaiters. A typical family is shown in the 1871 Census (25), Richard Dudley is a railway policeman, born in Totternhoe (a local village), his wife Sarah is a strawplaiter from Billington (also local), they have two children both born in Linslade. Strawplaiting was a common employment for women in Linslade at this time. This family is a good example of the many people who moved from local villages to Linslade for employment on the railways.
Few people will associate railways with hunting. Yet Linslade managed to turn this into a small industry. During the 1880’s it became fashionable for the wealthy in London to take a train to Linslade and go hunting. They could hunt with the Whaddon Chase, Lord Rothschilds Staghounds, the Hert’s Foxhounds, or the North Bucks Harriers, all within a short journey from the railway station in Linslade (26). This fashionable activity led to the opening of several hotels in Linslade, these included ‘The Hunt’, ‘The Railway Hotel’ and the ‘Elephant and Castle’. Hunters included the novelist Anthony Trollope. Later visitors to ‘The Hunt’ included Winston Churchill, and the Duke of Windsor and Mrs Simpson (27). ‘The Hunt’ is still open as a hotel and some public houses still bare notices offering ‘Good Stabling’. Another result was the building of fashionable villas in Linslade known as ‘Hunting Boxes’.
Is it sensible to maintain that Old Linslade disappeared because its Holy Well was banned? Whilst explaining New Linslades growth by reference to communications links? These are two very different historical explanations, one essentially ideological the other basically economic. There is a temptation to subscribe to one form only of historical explanation, to find economic reasons for Old Linslade, or ideological reasons for New Linslade. It is not difficult, we have a Vicars greed, or the opposition of Leighton landowners, to support our arguments. However. we might ask ourselves the question, why should both explanations not be valid? Philosophical questions can be raised from the narrowest local study.
TRANSPORT LINKS REFERENCESBack
1 ‘The Victoria History of the Counties of England, edited by William Page, A History of Buckinghamshire’, Volume II, London, 1969. Page 99.
2 ‘Leighton Buzzard’, Eric Rayner, Bedfordshire Magazine, May 12, 1971.
3 ‘A Gash in the Land…a Town on the Map’, Steve Meacham, Beds & Bucks Observer, 3.6.80.
4 An undated map of the canal through Linslade, thought to be contemporary with construction. Buckinghamshire County Record Office, Aylesbury.
5 ‘Leighton Buzzard Survey 1819’, map by B. Bevan, held at Leighton Buzzard Public Library.
6 Beds & Bucks Observer, 2.3.82.
7 ‘Aspects of the History of Leighton and Linslade’, lecture by Miss Patricia Bell, transcript, Bedfordshire County Record Office, Bedford, 1986.
8 Census viewed at Aylesbury Reference Library.
9 As 3 (above).
10 ‘Britain 1714-1851’, D. Richards & A. Quick, London, 1961. Page 154.
11 ‘The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham’, George Lipscomb, London, 1847. Volume III. page 403.
12 As 10 (above). Page 283.
13 ‘The Buckinghamshire Landscape’, M. Reed, Haverhill, 1979. Page 238.
14 ‘The Railways Influence on Leighton Buzzard’, P.S. Richards, Bedfordshire Magazine, Volume 15, 1975.
15 As 14 (above).
16 ‘The Coming of a Town’, R.V. Willis, Luton, 1984.
17 ‘Pictures Past and Present’, Richard Hart, Luton, 1986. Page 24.
18 As 17 (above). Page 123.
19 As14 (above).
20 Beds & Bucks Observer, 30.6.87.
21 As 1 (above).
22 As 14(above).
23 As 8(above).
24 ‘Old Leighton Buzzard & Linslade’, Leighton Buzzard and District Preservation Society, Rickmansworth, 1976. Page 9.
25 As 8 (above).
26 As 7 (above).
27 Beds and Bucks Observer, 14.7.87.
The new town grew up between the railway and the canal. This was close to the bridge to Leighton Buzzard. The rapid growth in population here led to the building of new churches and other public buildings for the town.
In June 1840 the Rev. Perkins, of Linslade issued a leaflet proposing the construction of a new church and a school for Linslade. He explains how St. Mary’s church is located between one and two miles from the majority of the population. That it cannot hold more than 130 people, and that there is no school for children of the parish. He calls for people to ‘come forward liberally to the relief of their brethren labouring under a spiritual destitution rarely equaled in this country’ (1). The Rev. Perkins was unable to raise sufficient funds. Meanwhile, Linslade Strict Baptist Chapel was built in 1842, seating 150 in the new town (2).
A public meeting in 1847 led by the Rev. Ouvry, took up the scheme. They were able to secure money from the London & N.W. Railway Company and from a Government loan. Building materials were carried free of charge on the railway. By 1848 the foundation stone had been laid, and by 1849 the church had been consecrated (3). The church was to grow with the town. additions being, a Vicarage in 1854, a bell tower in 1868, a clock in 1904 and North Aisle in 1905. The North Aisle was built with the assistance of local Free Masons, the opening being the scene of colourful and elaborate ritual (4). This new church is called St. Barnabas.
Linslade was served by the Leighton Buzzard local newspaper. This began on the lst of January 1861 as the ‘Leighton Buzzard Observer, and Linslade Gazette’ (5). It continues today as the ‘Beds & Bucks Observer occasionally a special section entitled ‘The Linslade Gazette’ is included.
Southcott must not be forgotten, for much of Linslade’s history this hamlet has been the major population centre. It was largely unaffected by canal and railway development. In 1861 it consisted of four farms and twenty cottages (6). In 1880 the Rothschild family, who had a hunting lodge at Ascott near Wing, built a Stud Farm at Southcott, which is still in existence.
In 1890 Linslade benefited from the opening of the Forster Institute. This large building with two public rooms was built by Mrs C.M. Forster. This lady had also contributed to extending St. Barnabas church. The Institute is in the hands of trustees. It is still used today for various entertainments and cultural activities (7).
Linslade Urban District Council was formed on the 1st of October 1897. This council consisted of nine members (8). This marked the recognition of Linslade as a town. It can be said that New Linslade, or Chelsea as it was for a time called, had grown simply through an accident of geography. Certainly, had the railway been built on the Leighton Buzzard side of the Ouzel, New Linslade would never have developed.
The history of Linslade in the 20th Century is one of continual growth. This growth is based on the continuing importance of the railway as well as the more general prosperity of South East England.
Linslade lost 41 men during the First World War (9). In 1921 a war memorial was erected (10). A small factory near the canal was used for the manufacture of the Vickers Vimy Bomber. Over forty of these bi-planes were built by Morgan & Company. The planes were wheeled along the streets and flown away from a field near Leighton Buzzard. The company who were specialists in motor car coachwork went on to produce Link Trainers in the Second World War (11). This war cost Linslade another 20 men (12).
The Cinema Age came to Linslade in 1922. ‘The Grand’ was built close to the river near Leighton Buzzard by the local builders Yirrells. However, it was purchased and closed by the rival Leighton Buzzard ‘Oriel’ in 1933. The building still exists, converted into car showrooms (13).
As New Linslade continued its growth and connections with Leighton Buzzard the logic of two separate towns, in two separate counties was questioned. A poem of 1947 moots the idea (see appendix). However, the separate identity continued. From 1945 to 1962 Linslade UDC constructed 273 council houses (14). A coat of arms was designed with the motto, ‘The old shall become the new’, this never recieved Grant of Arms however (15). The separate existence of Linslade continued to 1965.
In 1965 a Statutory Instrument united Linslade and Leighton Buzzard (16). This had the following effects. The county boundary was changed transfering most of Linslade to Bedfordshire. A new Urban District of ‘Leighton-Linslade’ was created. Forty-Five acres with no population was left in Buckinghamshire, (this was some fields in the north of the parish). The remainder of Linslade consisting of 4,300 people and 1,650 acres joined Bedfordshire. The first meeting of Leighton-Linslade UDC on the 1st of April 1965 was held in Linslade (17).
Leighton Buzzard was (and is) the dominant partner, being three times the size of Linslade, together they make a town of almost 30,000 people (18). Linslade still is a parish, and still has many clubs and associations which maintain its own identity, for example its Scout Group are the ‘1st Linslade’ rather than ‘Leighton-Linslade’. Some shops and companies name themselves after Linslade. There can only be sentimental objections to the unification in practice. A case can be made for the benefits Linslade has received, for’ example Leighton’s ‘Cedars School’ moved to a new site in Linslade in 1974 (19). Also Tiddingford is the location of Leighton-Linslade’s ‘Tiddenfoot Leisure Centre’, which includes a swimming pool.
Looking back over the history of Linslade we can see how a town can all but disappear for hundreds of years, then grow rapidly with modern developments. The main reason must be that apart from some sand, Linslade has few natural resources, on its own it can support only a small farming population. To survive as a town it must rely on the outside world and its communications links with that world. On Linslade’s new housing estates, which continue to be added to, people tend to commute large distances for employment. Few people work locally. Therefore this parish must look outwards for prosperity if it is to survive.
NEW LINSLADE REFERENCESBack
1 ‘St. Barnabas Linslade — a short history of the church’. John Vickers, 1983. Page 2.
2 Minute Book of Chapel Meetings at Linslade Strict Baptist Chapel 1842-1912, Buckinghamshire County Record Office, Aylesbury.
3 As 1 (above). Page 4.
4 Op.cit. Page 23.
5 ‘Pictures Past and Present’, Richard Hart, Luton, 1986. Page 118.
6 ‘Old Leighton Buzzard & Linslade’, Leighton Buzzard and District Preservation Society, Rickmansworth 1976.
7 ‘All about Leighton Buzzard and Linslade’, Leighton Buzzard, 1962. This includes Linslade UDC Official guide to Linslade. Page 49.
8 ‘The Victoria History of the Counties of England, edited by William Page. A History of Buckinghamshire, Volume III’, London, 1969. Page 387.
9 As 7 (above). Page 27.
10 As 1 (above). Page 28.
11 As 6 (above). Page 15.
12 As 7 (above). Page 27.
13 Beds & Bucks Observer, 22.10.85.
14As 7 (above). Page 69.
15 As 7 (above). Page 57.
16 ‘The Counties of Bedford and Buckingham (Leighton-Linslade) Order 1965’, SI no. 23, HMSO 1965.
17 ‘Leighton Buzzard’, Eric Rayner. Bedfordshire Magazine 12, 1971. Page 311.
18 ‘South Bedfordshire, Official Guide’, South Bedfordshire District Council, 1983. Page 20.
19 As 6 (above).
BANNS ACROSS THE WATER
(In view of the Proposed union of two Urban Districts).
Which surely weds,
Fair Linslade Bucks,
To Leighton Beds.
Proclaim the banns,
O’er Ousel’s flux,
Twixt Leighton Beds,
And Linslade Bucks.
From ‘Buzzards at Play’, by S.J. Forrest, 1947.